Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sindy Mixed Media Layout

Hello everyone and happy weekend! A new CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration challenge is up. Here's the case file:
My layout:
 
I went through a pile of photos and came up on these that I took of my first Sindy doll and thought they fit the case file pretty well. She is almost in her original clothing, just without the stockings that she came with. From the evidence I used: mixed-media background, stamps, lace, hearts, grid, leaves and clouds. Our electricity was out when I made this layout, so I couldn't check out the journaling links and had to work from memory. It is inspired by the happiness theme. The pink background was a failed gelli print (too much thick, opaque paint), but it worked quite well here. I stamped and added stenciling on top.
 
The patterned paper in the background is by Tim Holtz. I also used one of his new embossing folders to emboss the die cut clouds. Love that fine pattern. And a new favourite die, the Butterfly Frenzy, which die cuts a lot of small and tiny butterflies. The word stamps are by Wendy Vecchi.

The background was stamped with a text stamp and Red Geranium Archival Ink, holding the cling stamp in my hand instead of mounting it on an acrylic block. For the hearts and leaves, I applied white embossing paste through a stencil. When dry, they were dry-brushed with brown paint.

I was in a hurry and didn't wait for the stamped text to completely dry before applying the paste. You can see that the ink has coloured the paste pink in places, loved the effect since it adds an extra layer.

The new Bow-Tied die by Tim Holtz is so sweet. It cuts bows in three different sizes, I used the smaller two here, die cut from leftover gelli print paper. They are very easy to assemble. I didn't have many of these kinds of dolls, but me and my sister had fun making up really long stories with them. I made most of the clothes myself and also wove numerous carpets for them. I think I enjoyed that part more than the actual dolls.

Thank you for the visit! I have a lot of things to share next week, this week was quiet because we are still not 100% recovered from being sick.

Happy crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Shabby Chic Paper Stash; Neenah Smooth Solar White Paper
Dies: Sizzix: Butterfly Frenzy, Bow-Tied, Arrows, Banners, Chevrons & Clouds
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Courtyard & Trellis
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: The Beauty of Art, Collectible Art, New York Art; Hero Arts: Frame with Scrolls K5541
Ink: Archival Ink: Red Geranium, Potting Soil
Paint: Distress Paint: Walnut Stain
Stencil: Wendy Vecchi Stampers Anonymous: Never Enough Hearts, Lovely Leaves ; Jenni Bowlin: Silhouettes
Medium: Stampers Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: White Embossing Paste
Embellishments: BasicGrey letter stickers; lace trim

8 comments:

  1. Love this layout AK, my first 'fashion doll' was a Sindy - I also made clothes and built houses from cardboard boxes - early practice for stamping and mixed media :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous layout Anna-Karin... I love that there are no mistakes in art.... Just re- directions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had that exact doll! This brought back such lovely memories. I used to make clothes for mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet and sentimental LO! I love the bows and textured clouds. So many awesome details. I like how you added the block of detail photos of the doll.
    Thanks for sharing your LO and the fun memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous layout. I too had this doll but I had the blonde version who was also a ballerina. I loved her so much & she featured in a layout I made a few years ago!!
    It was a challenge piece based on the if you could be anything/one who/what would you be!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!