Monday, January 13, 2014

Eclectic Elements Clock

Hello everyone! We have an anything goes challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog. I often have a hard time deciding what to do on the anything goes challenges, this week I was drawn towards a Tim Holtz burlap panel.
  
I got the idea of turning the panel into a real working clock and also wanted to use some Eclectic Elements fabric. I was happy to discover that the Pocket Watch Frame die cut with one of the Sized Circles inside to create a frame, fit perfectly together with the clocks on one of the fabric prints. So my clock has a fabric face, which I liked especially together with the UTEE clock frame.
 
I started by smearing gesso on a 4 x 6 burlap panel, without yet having much in mind. I later added a bit more gesso.  
 
The clock frame was die cut from chipboard and covered with three or four layers of clear UTEE. For a tutorial on the technique I used, check out this post. I finished with a layer of Platinum UTEE, inked a stamp with embossing ink and pressed it into the ink. The embossing ink makes it easier to remove the stamp. Wait until the UTEE cools a bit before removing the stamp. You have to work one section at a time, otherwise the UTEE cools down too fast. Always be very careful when working with UTEE since it is very hot. When it was completely cool, I painted it with watered down black paint and rubbed most of the paint off. The paint remains in the stamped impressions. Finally, I mixed a tiny bit of Biscotti Perfect Pearls powder into Perfect Paper Adhesive and painted over the frame to give it a nice shine.
 
The fabric clock was glued to a circle die cut from grungeboard, and placed under a heavy book. Then I glued the frame on top and again placed under a heavy book. I drilled a hole through the centre of the clock as well as through the wood of the burlap panel, so that I could attach a clock mechanism. There is enough space at the back of the panel for the mechanism. 
 
On the background I layered two pieces of fabric, first fraying the edges. I made sure to pick a 'time' definition from the red text fabric, to fit the theme. White paint was rubbed into the word band and it was attached with screw eyes. Since the panels are made of wood, attaching things with screws work very well.
 
The red text fabric was die cut with a scalloped On the Edge die. I also painted some foliage flowers and leaves with Distress Paint. Some of the paint was rubbed off for a distressed look.
 
I like the combination of different materials and textures on this project, the rough burlap, fabric, glimmery and grungy UTEE clock and the painted metals.

I hope you will join us in our anything goes challenge this week. As every week, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront
 
Happy crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Burlap Panel 4 x 6, Grungeboard
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: School Desk
Embossing powder: Ranger: Clear UTEE, Platinum UTEE
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Foliage FlowersLong Fasteners, Observations Word Bands, Screw Eyes
Other: clock mechanism

19 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME ! Shabby burlap canvas clock !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome canvas Anna-Karin! Love the textured golden pocket watch and the metallic flower embellishments! The mix of fabric and paint makes a gorgeous background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic canvas Anna-Karin, I love how it's a real working clock, very clever. I love the texture from the UTEE and the metal pieces are a lovely addition. Love your use of fabric too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks brilliant and how wonderful that its a real clock x

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO very cool! Would love this in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful make and anyone would be thrilled to show this keepsake off!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! So creative. Thank you for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FANTASTIC! i love the watch frame! Great UTEE project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning, stunning, STUNNING!!!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your clock is amazing! I love the burlap and all the metal and cloth textures you used. So many great details. So pretty to have sitting on your desk. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful as always! the clock is a stunning piece !!!! BARbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous panel! Love the big clock, and it goes so perfectly with Tim's Fabric. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful burlap piece! I just love the way you embellish :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a gorgeous creation, Anna-Karin. I always love your focus on every beautiful details. Thanks for the great inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fantastic piece! I love how you mixed the roughness of burlap with all that elegant shine of the metal. And of course, your fabric additions were brilliant-- love how you pulled the "time" definition in with the fabric. Well done, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool, Anna-Karin - a brilliant mix of rustic and glamorous which gives it such an aura of aged elegance. The altered Idea-ology flowers look fantastic. Love it!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anna-Karin...I think you know what a fan of your work I am. It's always so beautifully done with meticulous techniques and details. I love your use of color and texture; in all of your pieces. This anything goes piece is also such an inspiring and lovely piece. It was such a huge pleasure for me to have been a part of the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Design Team with you! I am so glad that we got to "visit" more behind the scenes lately and I wish all good things for you and your family. You are a very very sweet and talented lady. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful texture from the burlap to faux metal to the metal flowers. Gorgeous panel. I had to chuckle as the anything goes stumps me too! I need a little direction to get my mojo going. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many cool techniques on this piece. They bring wonderful color and texture to your Time panel. The burlap is the perfect background for this. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!